Human Rights News

Another murder case in Basse! 18-year-old boy dies following alleged assault

One Saikouba Drammeh, an 18-year-old boy and native of Dampha Kunda in Basse was reported death following an alleged assault in which he was involved, LTN has learnt.

A man identified as Bubacarr Bajagha of Tinkinjo Village reported an assault case involving him and Saikouba Drammeh in Dampha Kunda at the Basse Police Station early Sunday morning, 22nd October 2023.

“The suspect Bubacarr Bajagha reported to the police in Basse that he was allegedly assaulted by one Saikouba Drammeh of Dampha Kunda with a pair of Scissors,“ said a source who wished to remain anonymous.

“The suspect Bajagha told the police he needed help because he was attacked by Saikouba Drammeh (now deceased) with a pair of Scissors during a programme held in Dampha Kunda village.“

According to our source, the suspect Bubacarr Bajagha was escorted to the Basse District Hospital for medical check-up. The source added that whilst the suspect was at the hospital, the deceased was also escorted straight from Dampha Kunda village to the hospital by his relatives for medical treatment.

“The relatives of the deceased also claimed he was assaulted by the suspect Bubacarr Bajagha with a pair of Scissors during which he was pronounced death,“ said a source.

The source added that the deceased has been transported to the country’s main referral hospital; the Edward Francis Small Teaching Hospital in Banjul for a post- mortem to be conducted.

LTN learned that the suspect Bajagha was given medical treatment at the Hospital and later escorted to the police station where he was cautioned and his case file was transferred to the Serious Crime Unit in Basse for further investigation.

Meanwhile, the police have also obtained several statements from potential witnesses as the investigation deepens.

LTN contacted the acting police PRO Cadet ASP Modou Musa Sisawo about this incident and he confirmed it. He said the police are investigating the matter.

Comments are closed.