The Chief of Defence Staff of the Gambia Armed Forces (CDS) Lt. General Yakuba A. Drammeh has won the Africa Peace & Security Leader of the Year 2022 Award, African Media Agency reveals.
The African Media Agency published this information today, 5th December 2022. CDS Drammeh was among many African leaders both security and civilians including the President of Sierra Leone HE Julius Mada Bio, who were earlier nominated for this year’s African Leadership Awards in various categories.
Below we reproduce the full story of the African Media Agency written by its Editor-in-Chief Kingsley Okeke .
The story reads:
PORTSMOUTH, United Kingdom, 5 December 2022,-/African Media Agency (AMA)/- The President of Sierra Leone, Dr Julius Maada Bio, his Zambian Counterpart, President Hakainde Hichilema, alongside the first female Director General of the World Trade Organization, Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala, among others, have been announced as the winners in the 11th African Leadership Magazine Persons of the Year – 2022. The trio emerged winners in the African of the Year, Political Leader of the Year and African Female Leader of the year categories, respectively.
The winners emerged with a combined total vote of over 15,000 and over 1 million active online engagements during the voting period, as at the close of the poll on Friday, December 2nd, 2022, at midnight Central African Time.
The poll, which has become the continent’s premium vote-based awards, attracted over 12,000 votes on the ALM website and over 3000 votes via email.
Winners for the 11th edition of the award shall be presented with the honour instruments on February 16th, 2022, during the annual African Leadership Magazine Persons of the Year Award ceremony, billed to hold in Port Louis, Mauritius.
The winners were unveiled by the Publisher of the Magazine, Dr Ken Giami, at the U.K. Head Office of the group. The announcement of the winners was preceded by the awards committee working with the editorial team to collate online and offline votes and submissions from the over 1 million subscribers/followership base of the publication.
Below is a list of winners and runners-up in the 9 categories:
1. African of the Year 2022
- H.E. Dr Julius Maada Bio, President of the Republic of Sierra Leone
- H.E. Hage Geingob, President of Namibia (Runner-up)
2 African Female Leader of the Year 2022
- Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Director General, World Trade Organization, Nigeria
- Sahle-Work Zewde, President of Ethiopia (Runner-Up)
3. African Educationist of the Year 2022
- Dr. Gertrude Nwangala Akapelwa, Founder & Vice-Chancellor, Victoria Falls University of Technology, Zambia
- Mamokgethi Phakengas, Vice-Chancellor, University of Cape Town, South Africa, (Runner-Up)
4. African Industrialist of the Year 2022
- Patrice Motsepe, Executive Chairman, Africa Rainbow Minerals, South Africa
- Dr Deji Adeleke, Chairman, Pacific Holding (Runner-Up)
5. African Political Leader of the Year 2022
- H.E. Hakinde Hichilema, President of Zambia
- H.E. Samia Suluhu Hassan, President of Tanzania (Runner-Up)
6. African Philanthropist of the Year 2022
- Tsitsi Masiyiwa, Executive Chairperson, Higher Life Foundation Zimbabwe
- Mohammed Indimi, Chairman, Oriental Energy Resources, Nigeria (Runner-Up)
7. ALM Emerging African Leader of the Year 2022
- Emma Theofilus, Deputy minister of Information, Communication and Technology, Namibia
- Ham Serunjogi, Co-Founder and CEO of Chipper Cash, Uganda (Runner-Up)
8. Africa Peace & Security Leader of the Year 2022
- Yankuba Drammeh, Chief of Defense Staff, Gambia
- General Jean Bosco Kazura, Chief of Defence Staff of the Rwanda Defence Force (Runner-Up)
9. African Energy Leader of the Year 2022
- Patricia Simon-Hart, MD/CEO, Aftrac Limited, Nigeria
- Leparan Gideon ole Morintat National Oil Corporation of Kenya(Runner-Up)
Distributed by African Media Agency (AMA) on behalf of African Leadership Magazine.
About African Leadership Magazine:
The African Leadership magazine is published by African Leadership (U.K.) Limited, a company registered in the United Kingdom. The magazine focuses on bringing the best of Africa to a global audience, telling the African story from an African perspective, while evolving solutions to peculiar challenges being faced by the continent today.
Source: African Media Agency